Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Dear world: Challenge Accepted.

I came across this today, it was one of those annoying "copy this into your status" things on facebook so at first I dismissed it and didn't bother reading it. But then I saw it enough times to give it a chance, and I thought it was for sure worth sharing.


"A teacher in New York was teaching her class about bullying and gave them the following exercise to perform. She had the children take out a piece of paper and told them to crumple it up, stomp on it and really mess it up, not to rip it. Then she had them unfold the paper, smooth it out and look at how scarred and dirty it was. She then told them to tell it they're sorry. Now, even though they said they were sorry and tried to fix the paper, she pointed out all the scars they left behind. And that those scars will never go away no matter how hard they tried to fix it. That is what happens when a child bullies another child, they may say they're sorry, but the scars are there forever. The looks on the faces of the children in the classroom told her the message hit home. "


I thought that this metaphor was so perfect and meaningful to explain the effects of bullying and it really 
got me thinking about bullying generally. 


I've noticed that bullying doesn't end in elementary school, it doesn't end in highschool, it doesn't end period. There'll always be someone trying to bring you down; an unfair professor, an arrogant classmate,  (welcome to my week), a past (and sometimes present) significant other, a rude co worker, etc. etc.


Some people are just going to pick on you, some people are just going to be nasty. And it sucks.
So I thought I'd share a way of thinking that I find helps me rise above these types of situation...


Instead of moaning and groaning about it for too long (a little bit of ranting is totally cool, but after a while you just sound whiney), I like to think about why this person was rude to me and prove them wrong.


Don't think I worked on my concept prof? Think I pulled it 'out of my ass'? Refuse to listen to the in depth explanation I have of how I came up with my concept?

I will wow you with my dedication to the assignment by coming up with an amazing final design.




Think I'm a bitch for standing up for others when you're calling them disrespectful things, classmate?
I'm going to be sickeningly nice to you, to the point where you wonder if I'm obsessed with you. (Except, maybe not THAT nice. Because I'm not obsessed with you in the slightest.)



Trying to bring me down, world?
Fine, I'll find my own ways to be happy.


So. I think I've found myself a new motto in life, what do you think?

xoxo




3 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I saw that status too and read it. I definitely agree that bullying continues. But taking the attitude you're talking about is awesome. I'm going to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like it! :) people, especially in the art world i've unfortunately found, like to bring us down.

    that paper analogy broke my heart. so sad and true!

    ReplyDelete