Monday, January 9, 2012

Goal: Prismacolor Collection

What do you guys think of my new 'stache??
Do you know of Prismacolor Markers? They're some of the smoothest most amazing markers to use and ever since I started getting interested in Illustration when I was about 15, I wanted some Prismacolours. So bad. But I was always deprived because each marker costs about 4 bucks. A kit of 24 is 80$..... so basically way out of my budget when I thought I made out just fine with crayola markers and watercolours.

But alas. I am delving even further into the world of Illustration with the start of a new semester. I am really hoping to improve and explore and develop my drawing style, and on top of this I used one of my friend's Prismacolors and I fell in love. One of my to-do goals before I turn 19 is to have a collection of Prismacolor markers.

And so I came up with a plan. I won't buy lunches anymore (I'll bring them from home), and I'll skip on buying coffee when I'm out. Instead of spending 4 to 7 bucks on these things, I'll save up to spend 4$ on a marker now and then. Today I bought my first to ring in the new semester - I chose a flesh tone because that is what I lack in my good ol' crayola set! As soon as I got home I got experimenting:

The skin tone is done with prismacolour and shaded with pencil crayon. The rest is done with my crayolas. I had my first mixed media class today and I've got to admit I'm already super inspired to try things out!

I'm going to start blogging more about my artwork this year. I'm determined to work hard at it and I hope you'll enjoy seeing some of my work when I do post it :)

Do any of you guys post your art on your blog? Leave me a link, I'd love to see what's out there!!

xo

10 comments:

  1. That's awesome, Katia!! I love it! PLEASE post more of what you draw :)
    Love and Turtledoves,
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg I did not know those even existed! They seem so awesome. I think I want them too *.*
    I never really liked to paint with markers, I prefer colored pencils and watercolors, or even black felt pens. But those....amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wanted a nice set of Prismacolor colored pencils for awhile. THEY ARE THE BEST but SO EXPENSIVE. I feel your pain.

    Best of luck, I'd love to see more of what you draw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh la la! I've never heard of these pens before (considering I'm not an artist) but I can tell from your illustration they work pret-ty well!

    Hope you start building up your collection even more :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice blog you got here! follow each other hon?
    *
    HF

    http://the-hf-blog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woooow love your drawing! Really cool style!

    http://styleservings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always been a pencil and watercolor person but the markers look great! I don't draw as much as I use to (I don't have as much time as I use to) but after teaching myself to draw more realistic styles I really want to find my own style of drawing. Good luck on finding your own style :)

    xo Amber P.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katia! When you were telling me this plan, I thought the whole time you were talking about Prismascolor PENCILS! I was thinking the whole time, how can she stand Crayola coloured pencils?!? Now this makes so much more sense, with all the saving (I thought you were overcompensating by saving 4$ for each.)
    I have to backtrack through your blog a bit, I'll check back more often now to look for your artwork!.
    -Allie

    ReplyDelete
  9. My fiance draws and paints, and one year I got him some of these Prismacolor markers and couldn't believe how outrageously priced they were!! Your first photo made me laugh :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of prismacolours. Probably because I seldom draw on paper. Anyways - it sounds like so much fun! Your illustration is really beautiful! I love the shading you have done and the purple hair. You have your own style and that's the most important thing ;)
    xxx,
    lily
    http://lilycupcake.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete