Thursday, February 2, 2012

Scary migraines n' stuff

Yesterday was supposed to be one of those productive days.
Y'know. The awesome kind of day where you clean your room, get all your assignments done, go art supply shopping with your mom, walk your dog, watch last Monday's 90210 episode, AND squeeze in a blog post?

Yeah. Well clearly that didn't happen for me (sadface) and I'll tell you why.
I basically had the scariest thing ever happen to me yesterday.
If you don't care to read about my wacko health rant, then I suggest you skip this.

So I was just getting to work on a self portrait painting when suddenly I felt like I couldn't see the spot that I was trying to look at to paint. I could see that things in my peripheral vision were still visible an fine, but this one spot that I was trying to focus on just didn't show up in my vision. I figured I had accidentally stared at my lamp and gotten one of those sunspots. But then the weird blind spot started to change and the edges of my vision started to distort - it looked like things were shimmering when I knew they weren't. It came to the point where I was staring directly in front of me and held my hand at one spot in my peripheral vision. My hand would disappear. I would move my fingers but not see even a blurred movement, it was just gone.

Needless to say I thought I was going blind, having a stroke, or simply dying. I called my mother in tears freaking out that I couldn't see my hand (and believe it or not, worrying that I wouldn't be able to get my project done. I really am a workaholic, damn.) and THANKFULLY, she reassured me that it was what's called an ocular migraine. So basically it's just like how some people get head-pain migraines, except this affected my vision and gave me a massive headache after. So I'm gonna live (knock on wood) but it was really the most frightening experience. I was so shaken and tired after and am still a bit worried about it.
Any of you ever had an ocular migraine before?

Anyway. My vision wasn't all that went crayyyzayyy yesterday:


My hair was huge and had awkward un-explainable sticky out-y curly bits at the ends. It's still kinda like that today which is weird. Maybe my migraine messed with my hair follicles...
Jokessss!  I may not be a scientist, or a science student, or one who has studied science more than what was required by my highschool to graduate, but I do know that it wouldn't affect the hair that's already there.
Nor would it even be possible really. I don't think....

Anywho, that's my scary story of the week. It's been a stressful week even aside from that, but I'm hoping to make the time for an outfit post in the next few days. I also have some art things to share!
Woohoo!

xo

9 comments:

  1. A. I think your hair looks gorgeous with all that volume and curl - for serious.

    B. that is so totally scary! Wow. I would've been freaking out too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, that must have been frightening! Being an artist, thinking for a minute your going blind... Here's hoping it doesn't happen again.

    I must agree with Deidre though, your hair always looks amazing. Even in its craziness.

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I thought I'd just started the last painting I'd ever be able to do - and it'd be my last and unfinished! So scary.

      Delete
  3. I used to get those too! I also thought I was going blind the first time. The last one I had was when I was about 15 or 16 and my goodness the pain was so so bad, I threw up twice :( dark room, strong pain killers and sleep is the only way to get rid of it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hope you're feeling better!
    i've never had ocular migraines before, but i do get the headache migraines, and my arm and neck muscles get tense to the point where i can hardly move. for me it is mostly stress-related, so sleeping in the darkest room possible and getting rid of said stress (easier said than done!) is my only way to stop the headaches!
    xo, cheyenne

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds absolutely terrifying. My mom gets migraines pretty bad, so I it can take you out of the day pretty quickly. Here's hoping you don't get more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad I don't get migraines like that. 2 of my coworkers get them so bad that they'll start throwing up and have to lay down because they can't see. It's crazy. Hope you get that all fixed up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Auugh what a scary story! I'm glad you're okay, an unfinished painting would just not be acceptable. (I kid, I kid.)
    You look awesome in the previous photos, by the way, I enjoy backreading your blog, hehe. All the best xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that sounds pretty scary! I would've freaked out too, don't worry. I probably would've been too scared to look up what it could be too haha

    ReplyDelete