Thursday, April 12, 2012

Illustration: Vintage Girl & A White Picket Fence

(Clever title right?)
As I go through my day a thousand various images get thrown at my brain and I always wonder just how directly it subconsciously affects my artwork.

I was painting yesterday, and I began to wonder where this particular image came from, and through an unnecessary amount of self analyzation (because I'm a cool kid) I realized that I was seriously inspired by Emma from The Fiercest Lilliputian. She's got this incredible vintage style and has the most unique outfit posts / blog.  I love her style and her honesty and down-to-earth attitude. So once I pinpointed this inspiration, I rolled with it! I definitely tried to put some of that vibe into this illustration.

8.5" x 6.5", watercolour, micron pen, prismacolor marker on watercolour paper.
(Copyrighted to Katia Engell)

Just goes to show how inspiring the blogging world really is, whether we realize it right away or not!

This particular piece was meant to be a practice piece for poses and watercolour technique. I'm trying to get more varied in my images because I find I often draw the same 'head'/face over and over again. 
Time to add some bodies to these heads of mine!

In other news; I've made some drinks at work now, and I've memorized how to call them out and all the abbreviations for the various drinks, syrups, customizations, etc etc etc. I swear it's like studying for a school course.... except the result is deliciousness in a cup and a paycheck! Woot!


xo

10 comments:

  1. I love this! That's good that your getting the hang of things at work too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're really good! I've always wished I could paint. I'm so honored that I was some inspiration! You should sell your work on etsy! I would totally buy some of your work to hang in my apartment :)

    xo,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! It's so cute, and I love how unique and different it is. You're very talented!

    -Desiree

    xhttp://deerlittlemysteries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww, i adore Emma. This is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This IS awesome! I totally agree with Emma- get these illustrations on Etsy! Original artwork is so special to own!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you're so talented at drawing! I love your drawing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I like the elbows and knees.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love her pose! and her big, beautiful eyes!! and i agree with kirsten, her knees and elbows are super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute photos!

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete