Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Cutting The Sleeves // DIY

Ever feel like your wardrobe just needs some extra oomph? It happens for various reasons I find. Maybe your style has changed, maybe your body has (no hate guyz, but it does happen, especially during them teenage years), maybe it's a new season, or maybe you're simply bored of some pieces you've had for years. Whatever the reason, it gets frustrating when you can't or aren't willing to throw it all out and spend a bucket load of cash to renew your wardrobe. Solution? Well it's quite simple - DIY!

I haven't had an enormous amount of time for DIY so I've started out really small -by cutting sleeves off of shirts that I thought needed new life! Here's 3 examples of shirts I changed up and now adore!


1. The Plaid Shirt.
This was a cheap plaid shirt I bought at Urban Planet when plaid first became a 'thing' a few years back. It's soft, and I do like the lumberjack feel, but over time it became limp and lame and unfitted and awkward. So I cut off the sleeves and took some fabric scraps and sewed them to the collar and the pocket, just to spice it all up a bit! I'm SO happy with how this turned out, though I think I might try and add a lining to thicken it a bit once I get the time!


2. Thrifted Blouse.
This blouse has the coolest collar trimmed with lace. I saw it at Good Will and thought - I'll have to find a way to make this work. I thought pairing it with some edgier pieces would be enough, but it wasn't. And this shirt with amazing lace details stayed hanging in my closet for a month or two. And then it hit me that I could cut off the bulky sleeves that I found made it so awkward, and the lace would actually show even better! Add a belt and voila! Totally cute!



3. The Band Tee.
It's flipped because I used my webcam for these photos, but this is an Elvis Costello tshirt. I love me some Costello, he's one of my favourites. So when my step dad just surprised me with this one day just because, I was stoked! The thing is, tshirts aren't my thing. Sure there's some with a special cut and fabric and pattern to it that I do choose to wear, but ultimately I am not one to wear a cotton tshirt. So I turned it into a tank top.  The one thing I need to change to this is to sew up the sleeve hole a little - the tshirt sleeve was very wide and now I've got major risk for some side boob peek-aboo moments that I'm not really into. ;)

So there's my three sleeve-cutting transformations! I'm stoked to wear these shirts, particularly the blouse in the middle. It's really an easy way to update a few pieces in a simple way that can still get you excited to wear them, and I'm definitely going to try and find other ways to do so and then share them with you guys on here if I find some good ones ;)

ps. excuse the webcam quality of these. I'm secretly a webcam/photobooth junkie. Shh.


xo

19 comments:

  1. Oh yeah! You're not 19 yet. You're so young!! I wish I were younger.

    These are so cool!! I was thinking of changing some of my clothes recently because I never wear any of them.

    Last year I turned like 5 pairs of my jeans into shorts. LOVE THEM. Saved me some money. :)

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been dying to cut the sleeves off this one blouse that has been sitting in my closet forever - it has a sailor collar similar to the second blouse of yours - so after seeing this, I think I might just take the plunge. Each one of yours turned out really quite perfect! xx Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for the comment, this is all so cute! I'll follow back <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. I like what you did with the plaid shirt and the lace shirt so adorable. Your blog is awesome. Will be stopping by again very soon.
    Carlee

    http://allthingsaveragegirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looooove doing this stuff! And what you did with that first shirt is awesome. Are you a fan of studding things? I actually just bought baby pyramid studs to upcycle a sweatshirt. I love thrifting and changing things. These are great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are such easy ways to transform an old wardrobe piece! I especially love the blouse. I usually donate my clothes, but I've been meaning to do a fun diy with something soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The second shirt is SO pretty now that you transformed it! Nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! Such an easy way to create a new piece out of something old. I love the white top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are such resourceful ways to increase the lifespan of your shirts! I'm a little hesitant to take scissors to my clothing, but the plaid one turned out soooo well that I might just have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I have already commented on this post but I just wanted to stop by again and tell you that I nominated you for the Versatile BLogger Award.
    Carlee

    http://allthingsaveragegirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are all great! I especially love the thrifted blouse :) so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are fabulous. I was thinking of cutting some shirts I have soon, but I'm always scared I'll muck it up!

    http://avatallulah.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to try this with a tshirt soon- I've always been a bit scared to mess something up by hacking it! But I need some sleeveless tops, so I'm headed to the thrift store with the intention of finding some tees to be "modified". Wish me luck?

    ReplyDelete
  14. cute!! love it. such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. your suggestions are great, current and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome DIY for your tops. Every once and while I'll revamp an old garment too and it's like having a something brand new.
    I especially like the lace top! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  17. All of these are amazing! You're so clever! Definitely working on transforming some stuff in my wardrobe at the moment too, it amazing what 30 minutes and a sewing machine (or needle and thread) can do!
    Also, I just have to tell you that i LOVE your header image, its so pretty! I am hopefully shortly doing a blog makeover soon and love seeing the potential for my layout in other pretty blogs. Hope you are having a wonderful day!
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  18. They all look awesome!! Think the white one is my fav though :D

    xx PC
    http://pony-chops.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete