Tuesday, May 1, 2012

DIY // Floral Patterned Scissors

Hey guys! I'm really excited to share my very first DIY post with you guys!
Now that I'm off school I have (a little) more free time to actually do these posts so I'm looking forward to posting more!

This is a super simple DIY involving an old pair of scissors that were starting to look really dirty and gross, and some nail polish I already owned, so it was pretty much a free DIY! Here it is!!

Pick a base colour, a lighter tone + a complimenting dark tone, and a highlight colour! These are the ones I'm using (Jade Jump by Sally Hansen for the base,  Back to the Fuschia by Sally Hansen for the lighter tone, Limited Addiction by Essie for the darker, and Summer Sunrise by H&M for the highlight.)

1. Cover the handle with the base tone. I would suggest letting one side of the scissors dry before you do the other, that way you can actually set the scissors down (which I didn't do and ended up holding the scissors upright while doing my hair for several minutes haha.... my bad!) Let the layer dry before going to the next step!

2. Take your lighter colour for the base of your flower and make little flower-y blobs spaced out around the handles! Again - one side a time is highly suggested ;) Allow time to dry!

3. This is where it gets a little trickier. I made two or three little noodle shapes to give a suggestion of petals and depth to the flowers! I used the very corner of the brush as best I could to get a thinner line! Be sure not to have excess nail polish on your brush or else it'll blob out all over your design! Let this dry too!!

4. Last but not least, take your "highlight" tone and, using the corner of your brush again, make little dots in the centre of the flower. I tried to make 3 dots varied in size, but it's all up to you! To do this one especially I would be careful to remove excess nail polish from the brush - these get blobby easily!

And there you have it! Some way cuter scissors than we started out with, without having to go out and spend extra money on a pair of overpriced patterned ones ;) And they look so pretty!

I mean, sure it's just scissors, but I've found that having pretty little details throughout life is actually a great way to add a little cheer here and there. Even if it is just when you get to use your scissors :) I kind of want to try the same technique on my nails for fun!

I'm sure the same general concept could be used for many different patterns; stripes & chevorn (using masking tape!) or polkadots or anything else you can come up with.
Let me know if you guys decide to do this, I'd love to see the results!

So work is kicking my butt guys. They gave me 35 hours this week AND I'm working my second job mondays. And then next week i have 37 HOURS. THIRTY SEVEN. I'm going to die. I need better shoes, because my feet kill me. 
I'm really lucky that I generally adore my work - sure when I'm lying in bed at 4 AM hearing my alarm go off so I can get up and get to work by 5AM I just never want to go back ever. But once I'm there and doing the job I forget all about that and love it!

Hope all of your weeks are off to a good start!

xo

12 comments:

  1. oh my goodness those are so cute! i love them!

    i understand about the work thing... everytime i switch from school to work i want to die. or chop off my feet. and that's with good shoes even. i start on friday and it's really hard to be excited. haha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH. MY. GOSH. Can you like, be my sister, and make little DIY projects like that with me? Like all the time? You're so creative and that's so cute!

    Dying of Admiration,
    <3Hima

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, they look adorable!!! Great idea!
    xx PC

    http://pony-chops.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute idea!! They look adorable! I also LOVE your new blog design & header.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha what a marvelous idea! Really makes those old scissors much fancier, I do believe I have more than a pair or two that could use a little makeover! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that turned out really nice! can't believe you hand painted that!

    -jessica
    http://runninginsideus.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg I love it! it's so freaking cute! I use nail varnish for so many things. You're so lucky to have a job :( the recession here in Ireland is so bad and it's pretty impossible to get one :( Hopefully I'll magically find one during the summer :P

    -Frances <3
    tobequitefranki.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What?! This is so cute! I've never really thought of using nail polishes for anything other than my nails. This is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a cute idea!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! I love your scissors- when I had my first phone I painted it with nail varnish, DISASTER. Your post has given my nail varnish courage once again!
    timefortea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I just came across your wonderful blog and was wondering if we could follow each other on Blogger and Twitter? Take care. :)

    Kristina (pink-sequins@blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are so cute!
    what an awesome first diy :)
    i've been wanting to do one for a while now myself!
    xo, cheyenne

    ReplyDelete