Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Thought or Two // On Celebrity Shaming

A Thought or Two is a series of blog posts based on, well, my thoughts! These are based on my experiences, my opinions, and my beliefs. These posts may not always make entire sense, but there's always a chance that maybe one single person is going to take something from it, and that potential is enough for me. It's also nice to touch base on topics that have been on my mind, and hear what others have to say - please do share your own opinions and thoughts in the comments (kindly though, of course!) Thanks for reading!

•••

I've recently noticed a disturbing trend online of people tearing celebrities apart by means of poorly written, sarcastic paragraphs posted on the celebrities' facebook pages or on tumblr. These comments proceed to get tens of thousands of 'likes' and comments debating between fans and haters, often getting nasty at each other.

Now, I totally understand a snide comment or even a brief discussion amongst friends, maybe even a few laughs and eye rolls at a celebrity's expense. I'm guilty of it myself! We all have opinions and it's nice to voice them and discuss them now and then - even when they are negative opinions.

What I don't get though, is why someone would take the time to go to the celebrity's page and publicly denounce them. And not even with simple, crude little comments, but with lengthy, thought out mini-essays filled with wanna-be clever remarks. Well sorry, but you don't sound clever. You sound like an incorrigible Negative Nancy who has way too much time on their hands.

Why does Avril Lavigne and Chad Kroeger's mutual musical mediocracy cause so much outrage over their engagement? Why would they deserve comments about 'the imminent ugliness and lack of talent of their future children'? They are engaged. Thus, two more people on this planet have found happiness with eachother. That is a good thing, a freakin' beautiful thing, regardless of who they are as celebrities.

And how about all the Nicki Minaj hate? It is still unclear to me why someone would suggest she 'fall off the face of the earth / kill herself' and call her 'a shameful excuse for a human being' just because they don't like her music and her style? It's not like she kicks puppies around and throws kittens off bridges or anything... You know what I think? Good for her for stepping outside the box in such a public manner, with such a critical audience. Good for her for making a one-of-a-kind persona for herself and for trying to do her own thing. It's far more interesting than all the glossed up clichéd female celebrities out there trying to blend in and be a traditional version of 'sexy'. I'd love to see the rest of us make such a bold statement, especially under the immense pressure of celebrity-hood.

I just don't understand why people take such offence to things so unrelated to their own lives. I highly doubt Avril and Chad are getting married for the sole purpose of pissing us all off. And let's be honest, they're actually kind of adorable:
AWEHGDKHJKDG 
Admit iittttt, this totally makes you want a big loving hug like that, doesn't it?
No?
So I'm just a sappy sap face then?
Oh, okay.


What are your thoughts on celeb shaming? I know it's become part of our culture with tabloids and stuff, but those people get paid to write those articles. The people I'm talking about post them just because, perhaps to let out internal anger and a hatred towards life itself? Ok that's a bit dramatic, but whatever. 


xo

13 comments:

  1. Haha you softy!! Yeah i completely agree with the "negative nancy with too much time on their hands comment". I think that exactly sums up quite a lot of people on the internet. You can choose to use the internet as a positive thing, or just waste time hating people!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shh, my softy-ness is a secret ;)
      I know that using the internet in a more positive way (like a lot of us bloggers) gets labelled as 'fake' or 'unrealistic' but I mean, it's just so much better than alternative at least!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you! I understand poking fun, everyone does it...but as long as these celebrities aren't doing truly heinous things, then why do people feel the need to publicly hate on them?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, I totally agree! Just because they're celebrities doesn't mean that they are actually people with real feelings. I think it's a shame that people use the internet to bully anonymously, those people need to be bonked on the head.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I get you completely! I just wrote a rant about people hating on Kristen Stewart so much. Although I don't admire Nicki Minaj at all, I think she's just trying too hard to be honest. But there's no reason to make such a big deal haha it's so silly! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I read your post on that, I mean I'm not a Kristen fan but what can ya do.

      I'm not Nicki Minaj's biggest fan either, but she definitely doesn't deserve to be told she's a disgrace to the human race haha!

      Delete
  5. I agree! I think it was a few weeks ago everyone was making a massive deal over Miley Cyrus cutting her hair short. People were saying horrible things to her like she looks like a man.I checked her twitter page to see if I could find a picture of it. Before I ever saw a picture I saw a tweet that said she had never been so happy in her own skin and instantly I thought GOOD FOR HER!, why should she or anyone else have anyone bringing them down or telling them otherwise. Some people need to stop hiding behind their computer screen and show us how perfect they are. I actually quite like her hair, I think she rocks it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I SO AGREE. I loove her new hair - some of the pictures she's taken are a little weird of it, but I find it looks good. Some of her behaviour may not appeal to many people but that doesn't much have to do with her hair haha.

      Delete
  6. I feel the same way. I remember going on some celebrity site a few years ago when Paris Hilton got caught flashing her vag to paparazzi. I mean sure... it's an undignified situation. But the amount of hate spewing from the comments was just staggering. I don't care how little talent someone has. No one deserves that amount of vitriol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree completely. It's pretty disturbing. People think celebrities are these extra-human people who won't get wind of their insults or won't be affected by them, but that's such an ignorant ideal. What's worse is the people who WANT to hurt them (which you have to be aiming to do when you go to their personal Facebook and Twitter accounts). It's just pathetic, really.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just came across your blog. I completely agree with this post. People who can say such means about people should focus on the things that they obviously need to work on themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can never understand why anyone would want to take the time to shame anybody - celebrity or not. It's quite disturbing and all it really does is say something about the person's character who is doing the shaming. It's like you must be one really miserable, unhappy person if you are so quick to go out of your way to inflict shame on someone else. Great post Katia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand not liking certain celebs and joking about that to your friends and stuff, but yeah I wouldn't waste my time being vicious on the internet. Some people go waaaay too far with it. Like I can't stand Lady Gaga for example, but I would never say such harsh things about her or bash her like that. Nobody deserves that and it ends up making that person who said it look worse in the end.

    ReplyDelete