Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Story Behind Solé

For as long as I can remember I've been wanting to sell the things I make. In grade 5 I made friendship bracelets of all sorts of varieties and sold them, made custom orders, for anywhere between 25 cents and 2$. I raised about 200$ and donated it to the Canadian MS Society.

(my carved necklaces)

Then I got into knitting, and I eventually thought I could sell that. And I thought - ok, but what honestly makes my knitting different than everyone else's? And I couldn't find an answer, and so I didn't go through with that. And then I started carving wooden necklace pendants for a school assignment, and it was the first time I felt I had actually done something unique. However, carving was far too time consuming, and finicky, and I was so bad at avoiding my hands with the carving tools, I figured that in order to avoid severe injury (ha) I should try something else. I still wanted to work with wood though, so I played around with designs, illustrating on wood, techniques, etc. and eventually landed on what I have now!



Then came the name.
If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll probably remember when I got my sunshine tattoo (read more here). And even if you don't remember that you've probably noticed it in my photos before. So the sun has a whole lot of significance to me and it's a personal symbol of happiness, strength, optimism, hope, and much more. I wanted my brand name to be something that wouldn't lose meaning to me over the course of a year. So I played with it, and love the sound of it in French; 'Soleil'. However I knew that in English there may be some pronunciation issues. So I threw in the accent, that way it was apparent that it meant to sound french AND it was more unique and spunky. I love it!


Stay tuned this week for more Solé goodness !!

xo

8 comments:

  1. As I read this I'm wearing the one you gave me for my birthday <3 Fave necklace :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, that's awesome! i really like the necklace in this post.
    and i've always wanted to give wood carving a try, this post is inspiring me more and more!
    can't wait to see more solé goodness :)
    xo, cheyenne

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful!! Well done you on getting such a lovely range together. The blog looks great too =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was driving home from Tesco just a few minutes ago and I was looking at a very beautiful sunset, couldn't help but think how wonderful and powerful the sun is. I approve of the name, it's perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for starting your own biz!! Can't wait to grab me some Sole goodness :) And that is so sweet of you to donate your money, you must have been such a sweet 'lil girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so cool that you donated that money you made! You're right about knitting, and this is totally unique and more 'you'. I'm so happy you're doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited to see your new shop! These necklaces seem really unique, I don't think i've ever seen any similar to them before.

    And yay, I'm happy you want to swap buttons :) email me at ponychopsshop@gmail.com and let me know what size you want. If you could send me a 200x125 that would be great :D
    xx

    ReplyDelete