Friday, October 19, 2012

Recipe // Nutty Goodness Granola

One of my goals this fall season was to make my own granola! I've been stuck in a breakfast/snacking rut since moving out on my own, and I figured it was about time to get myself out of this rut by making something totally delicious! So I headed out to a bulk barn and picked up some ingredients that seemed granola-appropriate! It turned out deliciously, and it made my apartment smell soooooooo good. I haven't even finished all that I made, and I already want to make more!

Dry Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Dried Banana Chips
1 1/2 cups Walnuts
5 cups Regular Oats
3/4 cup Skor/Toffee Bits
3/4 cup Shredded Coconut Flakes

Wet ingredients: 
1/2 cup Becel
1/2 cup Smooth Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Honey
1/4 cup Brown Sugar

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Put dry ingredients into whichever baking tray/pan you're going to use. I used what google tells me is called a "Rondeau", which was pretty big and worked well for the amount of Granola I was going to make! 
2. In a small pan, melt all wet ingredients together and stir until smooth.  It will look like there isn't much compared to the dry ingredients, but it will be just enough! You don't want soggy granola afterall.
3. Evenly pour the wet mixture onto the granola.
4. Stir stir stir!



5. Once your granola seems all mixed up,  plunk it in the stove for about 25 minutes. Every 5 minutes, give the granola mix a quick stir, or else it'll all just clump together and make a giant granola bar type thing ;)

6. Let cool, or eat warm, whichever you like! I like to serve mine with some fresh fruit (Banana!) because I'm trying to have at least one serving of fresh fruit a day. My room mate doesn't like banana though, so I didn't put any on hers and she gave me her banana chips after this photo was taken, haha!


Have leftovers? (You probably will with this recipe, but that was the point!) Make sure you store it in an air-tight container, tupperware works great!

And enjoy! This granola is super filling - this cup sized portion filled me right up, and in a totally delicious awesome way. I've also been bringing small baggies of it for snacking on at school!

Et Voila! My first attempt at Granola making, successful!

xo

8 comments:

  1. This looks flipping delicious. I may have to try this!!! Thanks so much for sharing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Granola is one of my favorite foods.

    <3 Melissa
    wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm, looks good! i want to make my own granola as well,
    i'm going to try it with your recipe! thanks for sharing (:
    xo, cheyenne

    ReplyDelete
  4. DAMN MY BANANA ALLERGY!
    Tempted to try without though <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. toffee bits?! holy toffee goodness, batman. i'm gonna make this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooo such a good idea. i would have never thought to make my own.

    ReplyDelete