Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Perpetually Unsatisfied



A few weeks ago Mel from My Billie left a comment on one of my blog posts that struck a chord within me and it's been snowballing into a whole new perspective on life (I've had a lot of those lately).

Melanie wrote:
"It's all a balance. I think its a good thing that you're wanting more and to keep growing and evolving! That's a beautiful way to live and I personally hope I never stay comfortable and too satisfied with my life. That's when you start getting boring : )"

Staying unsatisfied. Normally we're encouraged to be satisfied with what we have, to always look at the positives and be happy with what good luck we get. And though this is entirely true, what if there is a fine balance as Mel suggests?

A constant need for something 'more' can be a burden. More money,  more success, more love, more clothing, more time with friends, more attention, more this, more that. Sometimes you DO have to suck it up and remind yourself that the people and situations around you are, in fact, better than good enough - sometimes they're actually GOOD. And that need for something 'more' is un called for and is only going to bring you down unnecessarily. I've lived this way before, looking forward to 'the next big thing' only to get there and... be disappointed and start immediately looking forward to the NEXT big thing. So it makes sense that people tell you to stay satisfied with life because life is in fact good, I guess.

However, now that I am in fact not only satisfied but happy with life, I still find myself wanting more. I have a great group of friends, a great family, I love school, I have a part time job I enjoy, I have goals and ideas of what I want to do in life, but I still want more. And you know what? That's ok. No one should be able to tell me that I should just stay satisfied with a simple, easy, happy life - that way of thinking is equivalent to squashing ambition. Do you think that explorers, entrepreneurs, the people in our world who have gone down in history and changed the world thought to themselves that they'd stop striving for more because it was easier to stay satisfied with what they've already done? Probably not.

So, as long as I'm not letting my 'dissatisfaction' get in the way of me being happy, why not constantly strive for more? Maybe I want to start this new personal project, expand my brand Solé, meet new people, throw myself into the art world, travel more, experience more. I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all. In fact, I think it might just be a more enriching way to live.

I don't know how to end this post, so I'll just leave you wanting more....

(badoom chhh!)


4 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS Katia!! I was really interested in hearing your take and thoughts on it all. Beautiful post!

    hugs, Melanie from My Billie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this post and love what you have on your mind. I've allllways thought that maybe there was something wrong with being dissatisfied with life, even though you feel happy and fulfilled. It left me thinking maybe I was the odd one, and thinking "Will I ever be happy?" Then I realized that I AM happy...that I just want more, and yes, that's okay. We're never going to reach this ultimate happiness, there is NO such thing...and that's okay. As long as you can be happy with what you are given/have, and as long as you're left wanting more, that is what life is truly all about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a really great thought. i feel like i'm constantly wanting to perfect everything but never thought about how bored i'd be if i ever got there. NICE THOUGHT. thanks for sharing. i'm going to bask in my messy imperfectness now. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, I totally agree. I always try to be happy about what I have but I do always want more. Not like in a greedy way but like a "I want more for myself" kind of way. To push myself to be better and improve and to fulfill my dreams, ya know?! I've never really though about it that way though, as a good thing rather than a bad thing. So thanks!! This was great!!

    ReplyDelete