Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Lit Chic 01 // A Casual Vacancy

"Lit Chic"

It sounds like another terrible stereotypical label. I mean, why does one have to establish that they are both a bookworm and chic at the same time? But in this context, I'm simply merging two things I love into one - books and fashion! I want to read more this year (as per my 19 before 20 list) and thought I'd start doing little book reviews, and make little outfits to go with the book too ;)! Book covers are one of my favourite kinds of design - there's so much out there and so much beautiful work (and some not so beautiful, but that's besides the point!) Making outfits based off them, as well as the feel of the book, is fun!
So here's my first post on my new Lit Chic feature, starting with a review and outfit for J.K. Rowling's 'A Casual Vacancy'.


I was curious, and got the book for Christmas. There was so much buzz about Rowling's first attempt to break away from the Harry Potter series. Many people were bashing it, but I decided they might have simply been expecting something more Harry-esque from her, and that it might be worth a read anyway. And it was! 

I mean, in all honesty, I don't think Rowling's actual writing is remarkable. There were many blatant sexual references in the book that felt so... out of place I suppose. And I felt it was an obvious attempt to make the book more 'adult'. However - she is an AMAZING story teller. The best comparison I can make this book to is that of a TV series. There are many characters, many points of view, and many intertwining stories that all work together and come together beautifully. You become attached to the characters as they make their way through the story. You hate them at times, love them at times, feel bad for them at times, get angry at them at times. There's no denying that Rowling creates these worlds and fills them with some wonderfully developed characters.

The book has some politics, some romance, some scandal, a little bit of everything and it was really enjoyable and easy to read! I would recommend it if you aren't looking for anything too thought provoking and just sort of fun and engaging to read!


xo

7 comments:

  1. Oooh thanks for the book review I had been wondering about her new book! I love this little collage,especially the geometric earrings, so cute! Hope you're having a great day!
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea of combining fashion and books, reminds me of a beauty blogger I follow who does make-up looks inspired by literature. I was wondering what this book was about, certainly doesn't sound anything like harry potter! I might add it to my list of books I want to read, I too need to read more! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have been wondering about this book as i too had heard some bad reviews! but i like what you have said about it and i do like a good story. i think i should give it a go! and i adore the outfit you picked out for it, tres sexy!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you translated the book into an outfit!

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of making the book cover into an outfit! I haven't read that book, and probably won't. I haven't heard too many stellar things about it, and I just associate JK Rowling with Harry Potter so much that it would be tough to break that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This outfit is awesome and thanks for the review, I've been curious about reading it! I've been following your blog for a while now but I think this is my first comment, woot. Definitely going to add you to my blogroll!

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete