Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Adventures in Vegetarianism // Sweet Potato Pasta


Oh hey, remember me? Katia? That girl that blogs sometimes?
Well, I've been trying to brainstorm things for me to blog about, and to feel passionate about, and then I remembered I've gone vegetarian, and that I haven't really blogged about that yet. And how I love food photography (And would love to improve at it, an excuse to take out the DSLR and actually take pictures with something other than my Iphone too!). And how I love cooking. That's one thing I've definitely gotten from living on my own this year, an affinity for getting off my butt, in the kitchen, and actually cooking. 

So I'm going to start sharing some of the recipes I've come up with for vegetarian meals.  This one was a first-attempt type of meal, and I really loved the outcome.

Disclaimer: I'm writing this from a "What Katia Learned in the Process" perspective, so some of these things may seem obvious to you long-time cooks, but maybe not for beginner cooks!

What you'll need:
- Pasta of your choice
- 1 Sweet Potato
- Olive Oil
- Red Pepper
- Red Onion
- Brown Mushrooms
- Pesto Sauce
- Lemon

1. First, I roasted the sweet potato. Preheat the oven to aprx. 350 degrees. I cubed them, and in retrospect, could have cubed them even smaller so they got softer, but hey! You live cook you learn, right? Then cover them in olive oil and set them on the baking sheet. I read somewhere that sweet potato sticks easily to pans because of the sugar in them, so lining the sheet with aluminum foil/parchment paper is a good idea! (Unless you want to spend time after your meal scrubbing your pot and working those arm muscles. Personally I'd prefer using that time to eat dessert. ha!) Stick these babies in the oven and flip them around at about 15 minutes - then put them back in for another 30 minutes!
2. Then I sauteed the other vegetables. These are the exact amounts of each vegetable I used. I think I would have added more red pepper if I were to do this recipe again. I started with the onion and mushrooms first because I like the onions nearly caramelized and the mushrooms as cooked as possible. Then I threw in the red peppers at the end!

Note to self: Take the sticker off the red pepper before slicing it up and throwing it in the hot pan. This will help you avoid digging through your burning hot veggies to find the stickered piece. Silly Katia.


3. Cook your noodles the way you'd normally cook them, and when you're all done? Throw it all together! I used a small amount of pesto sauce on mine, and juice from a quarter of a lemon. I also added some Parmesan cheese at the very end but that's just because I love love love cheese. So any sorts of toppings or sauces that you prefer would work!

The sweet potato and the red pepper were a really nice sweet kick to the meal, and I must say - I've grown to love mushrooms and onion. Especially when sauteed, I looove the way my kitchen smells after! The leftovers the next day were a great lunch too, so, win win win all around!

Any other vegetarians out there? Any great recipes you'd like to suggest to me to try?

xo

6 comments:

  1. Nice! I didn't know you went vegetarian! I'm sure you already know that I am ;) This looks yummy, next time I get sweet potatoes I'll definitely try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, what a delicious recipe! I'd love for you to share more :) I only recently started eating meat again (doctor's orders) so I still eat vegetarian most of the time. I'm always looking for new things to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to try this! My boyfriend and I are both vegetarians and learning how to cook. Your tips will be helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i always hated cooking, but that's probably because i lived in the studio and my kitchen was the size of a coat closet haha (i wish i was exaggerating). but this recipe looks yummy! that's awesome you went veg- it can definitely be a challenge sometimes. i just came back from 5 weeks in india and was veg the whole way through, and it both was torture and very rewarding. i wish they had this yummy dish there ;)

    (and nice food photos!)

    xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.ezrapoundcake.com/archives/21316

    Best site. Best dish <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm, that sounds delicious!
    xo, cheyenne

    ReplyDelete