Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Lit Chic 02 // Fall On Your Knees


Fall On Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald

 My step mom lent me this book when I asked for my copy  of the Great Gatsby and she couldn't find it, and I must say I'm quite glad she misplaced it for two reasons. One, it is an amazing book. Two, I ended up buying a really adorable copy of the Great Gatsby to replace the other one. 

Where do I begin with this book...
Fall on Your Knees follows the lives of the Piper family in the early 1900's. The story starts with James Piper and Materia who marry against Materia's family's wishes. They elope, and things just get rotten for them from there on out. They have daughters each of whom have their own stories going through to the end of the book. I risk spoiling the entire thing for you all if I try to explain the plot any further, so I'll simply say that there are some pretty dirty secrets thrown into the mix and it makes for quite an intense, disturbing story. 

The way it's written is beautiful, often jumping from perspectives and POVs within the same paragraph and switching from real life to dreams and thoughts and imagined things without explicitly saying so. It doesn't get confusing though, which is what makes it such a good read. I love it when a book, a movie, any story really, isn't too linear and jumps back and forth and has plenty of plot twists! There is a lot of historical context, a lot of religious content, but not in an overly biased way. The characters are beautifully flawed, you can hate them to bits even though you love them in the end.
 
This outfit is based on my favourite character, Frances. I'm not sure if she's written to be your favourite or if I just naturally favour her. She's a wild child but within her own boundaries, she doesn't spin 'out of control' so to speak. She knows what she wants and she finds a way to get it and sets her own limits - she doesn't follow the limits set on her by others.

So basically, I totally 100% recommend this book and definitely think it's worth a read!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment