Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Paris // Bonjour!


Well, I made it to my hotel in Paris in one piece! My trip went really smoothly, with only one minor mishap with my suitcase handle breaking off (after I got to the hotel though, so we'll actually call that a stroke of luck!). It was my first time flying and traveling alone so I was quite glad to not encounter any hiccups.

Two of my old friends, Tam & Joe from elementary school, also happen to be studying in Paris this semester (in other words this world is smaller than the leg room in an airplane seat) and so they met up with me at my hotel and we had a little 'reunion' in Paris! We explored my neighbourhood, popped into the coolest little shops, walked up to where my apartment is, checked out some caf├ęs and boulangeries, bought some wine for 4Euros and went back to my hotel room to hang out and catch up some more. It was so nice of them to take the afternoon to greet me!


My first day in Paris wasn't as overwhelming as I feared, it wasn't as lonely as I feared, and it was just as beautiful as the optimistic side of me could have imagined. I think I've mostly tricked my mind out of being too jet lagged, even though I was up at 2-4AM (Paris time) rolling around in bed. I forced myself to sleep until about 8AM so we'll see how I do today!

Update: It is now noon here, 6AM Canada time. I've had 2 coffees and still, all I want to do is sleep. Looks like I spoke to soon about beating jet lag! Ouch!

Update 2: I went into Starbucks (Don't worry Mom - I spent my morning in a cute french cafe first!) to try and get some wifi on my ipod instead of coming back to my hotel room. I don't have a phone here so facebook is my only means of communication. Anyway, I had a middle aged french man ahead of me in line ask if he could take me for drinks. No thanks. But flattering anyway, and he asked in French so I'm going to just take that as a sign that I was lookin' all Parisian today. Score!

xo

7 comments:

  1. I already know I'm going to regret not doing a semester abroad. I've heard it's life changing. Have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? You didn't take advantage of having a French Sugar Papa? Katia! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna, that made me laugh out loud, NON MERCI PAS DE PAPA SUCRE ;) !

      Delete
  3. So jealous. Enjoy every little moment...sleep deprived or not.

    http://blog.katehardydesign.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you made it! What a pretty view you must have. I'm sure you'll get used to the time difference in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy your first day was a positive and happy one (thanks to being able to meet your friends - how wonderful they were there to greet you!) as I'm more than sure first impressions in these situations do count so it's fantastic you had such a good one! I do hope that, by now, you're a little more used to the time difference and that your body has suitably caught up with sleep etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome would it be to go across the world and get to hang out with your old friends? I'd be thrilled to see anyone I know in the area right now. That feeling that there is someone who knows you and you don't have to introduce yourself over and over again... So glad you're having a nice time!

    ReplyDelete