Sunday, May 11, 2014

Paris: Vaux le Vicomte



Last weekend I went on a little trip to visit a relative just an hour outside of Paris. I got the chance to visit 'Le Chateau de Vaux le Vicomte". Ever heard of it? I hadn't! It is a bit of a shame that it isn't more widely known because it is the castle that inspired the really famous Versailles! One dude saw the gardens of Vaux le Vicomte and said "Hey, if he can have a big garden and castle, so can I! And I wanna make it even more grandiose and extravagant!" Quite the accurate piece of history right there.
(Not really) 
(Don't base your facts off this) 
(Not an exact quote)

Anyway, it made for a slightly less-busy, less overwhelming experience than Versailles (though Versailles is still well worth the visit of course!). I also wore my new super yellow/orange sweater which surprisingly matched a lot of the colours in the castle, despite being one of the more out-there colours I have in my wardrobe here! To be fair though there were so many paintings, tapestries, murals, etc. in so many different colours, that I was bound to match something regardless of the colours I wore!


Walking through the gardens here was also a really nice experience - just calmly going from level to level, pond to pond. The garden was designed to create an illusion of greater space when viewed from the castle, so the further you walk the more you discover! Pretty neat!

xo

2 comments:

  1. hahah like your fake historical quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! My favourite part of Versailles was the gardens, the French just know how to do gardens, don't they?!

    ReplyDelete