Thursday, December 18, 2014

Something New: Weaving!


I'm really excited to share my latest creative endeavour with you guys! It's probably because wall-weavings are super trendy right now, but I felt absolutely compelled to give it a shot on my own. I've always been very drawn to textiles and it's nice to be have a bit of free time from my illustrative school work to create in such a hands-on way.  I'm obsessed!

These are very early attempts - already just looking at these photos I see so many things I'd do differently the next time! It's all a learning process, right? It's fun to learn which types of yarns work best for what, which I personally prefer, which ones leave little micro fuzz stuck in my eyelashes and are impossible to spot and remove... haha!



I'm really into this one, mostly because it's the most recent therefore the better one hehe. Plus the pea-green colour in the middle is one of my favourite yarns - I've actually had a few balls of it for years.

So this is what I've been up to with some of my spare time since school's been out, busily making away to hopefully give some of these out as gifts this holiday season!  It's hard to part with my work though (always is), so I took the time to photograph these properly so I can sort of keep them, in my own little way!

What do you think of this weaving trend? Have you tried it?

XO

8 comments:

  1. I did try, and failed miserably! maybe I shouldn't give up, I want to make blankets or some sorts haha. the ones you make are really pretty! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. blankets would take so long, but it would be fun!! Kudos to you if you try again and have the patience for a whole blanket ;)

      Delete
  2. I noticed the trend around the blogosphere but haven't tried weaving myself! Looks like it requires patience ;-) These would make great gifts, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I gave a few out as gifts for sure! And yes, patience is key I suppose. But it doesn't feel like patience neccessarily when you're doing it just to occupy your hands!

      Delete
  3. I haven't tried this trend myself, but it seems like it would be very therapeutic! Love your work, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are SO good. I know they're trendy but I love them and totally want to try it out!! Yours are so great Katia, I love love love the navy blue and beige one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carly! You definitely should give it a try, why not? Thank you so much :)

      Delete